The Church of England Cathedral in Newcastle is St Nicholas. It dates back to the late twelfth century. Although as early as 1080 the site contained the first parish church. It wasn't until 1194 that the name St Nicholas was used to name the church on the site.
The parish church of St Nicholas become a Cathedral Church in 1882 when the new Diocese were founded. It was at this time that Newcastle was the most northerly positioned Cathedral in England.
Some features to take note of when visiting the Cathedral are the fifteenth century Crown Spire, the last remaining piece of stained glass depicting the Madonna feeding Christ, Danish War Memorial, and the Long View showing the full length of this magnificent and splendours building.
The Castle Keep is a Grade 1 listed building order by Newcastle city council. It was built between 1168-1178 by Henry II and is the finest example of a Norman Keep in England.
Surrounding the Keep are an early motte and bailey castle, a Roman Fort (Pons Aelius) and an Anglo-Saxon cemetery.
The Castle Keep is heritage visitor attraction open 361 days of the year and there is a nominal charge to visit.
From main entrance of Central Station (Rail) turn right along Neville Street, keep right at Westgate Road to junction with St Nicholas Street, Castle Keep is across road on your right.